Morning! The sun is shining, the birdies are mooing and the cows are tweeting and…
Hang on, that's not true at all. Actually, it's still pitch black outside and only the Twitter Budgies are sounding like a herd of stampeding ostriches in my office (the mooses, long-suffering beasts that they are, have learned to ignore them in hopes they get sucked into a black hole).
However! I do have my morning coffee (that's like saying, I'm more alert than Dug from the movie Up and ready to SQUIRREL! SQUIRREL! SQUIRREL! SQUIRREL! )
and … What's that?
You don't know about SQUIRREL!!!?
Oh my, we can't have that!! Behold:
See? Btw, did you know there are some pretty nifty Easter Eggs in Up? You can check 'em out at (you'll love this title!) "Easter Eggs in Pixar's Up" – good stuff indeed!
But I digress. Back to your unique blogging voice!
You know, I wasn't going to write about this topic whatsoever today either. Oh no oh no, I had something much more creative planned…something that would send scary shivers down your spine as you gasped in horror when you realized it was within your grasp!
Of course, I'm talking about Rice Krispies (I really am!).
But then I fired up 'ye 'ole Feedreader and saw:
- Voice is an important part of your content
- The Secret Weapon that Makes Your Content Successful
- How Can You Get Noticed On Other Blogs?
- 5 Bloggers Who've Got (Writing) Style
and other assorted goodies and realized that:
No, I did *not* just date myself.
I really didn't.
I realized that yet again, the topic of one's unique blogging voice, like the migration of the swallows (African swallows, mind you, not European swallows. And yes, they're laden with coconuts too), like the plaintive cries of parents whose children gave in to the Dark Side and craved bizarre Kung Zhu Battle Hamsters only to lose interest 3 days later leaving said parents with a $67 expenditure that did *not* happen to me, like….
You get what I mean, right?
It's a popular topic of conversation *again*! So out the door went my beloved Rice Krispies, and instead, I'm writing about your unique blogging voice.
Yes, yours. Not mine. I don't have one.
Well, okay, perhaps I do, actually…you always know what to expect when you come to BarbaraLing.com! Humor that brightens your day, profoundly useful tips and techniques for building up your business and beefing up your income online and the like.
It's me trademark, see?
Which brings me to something 'way more important – *you*.
What's your unique style and trademark and blogging voice?
What's that? You don't think you have one?
Poppycock! (oOo….I've always wanted to write that! Let me write that again! Poppycock! Poppycock! Poppycock! Poppycock! Poppycock! Poppycock! Poppycock!) Wow that was fun….
Of course you have your own unique style and trademark and blogging voice – you simply have to give yourself permission to let it come out and to sing your own song.
And don't go telling me you can't do that, or you don't have it, or your coffee ran out!
Because the facts are, nobody *except* you will make it happen *for* you.
So give yourself permission to embrace the idea that you're truly special and unique.
Once you've done that, you've opened up your horizons to start to really brand yourself online.
And here's how.
Step 1.) Define three hobbies/interests of yours that are unique.
Why, I hear you ask? Because when you start including various aspects of them in your posts, you become more human and more accessible to your readers.
You start to add flavor and personality to your writings.
My interests include:
- Making people laugh
- Angsting emo teens
- Crushing bullying
Go thru my posts like:
- 101+ Stellar Exciting Social Media Icon Sets You MUST Witness To Start 2011 Off Right!
- The Chuck Norris Guide To Proficient Protecting Of Your Site From Rabid Varmits
- Which lurking reader is helping YOUR blog score the perfect touchdown?
and others and you'll see what I mean. Each of them are funny, some of them are insightful, some of them present ideas most folk have never heard, etc.
Got that down? Okay then, next:
Step 2.) Sprinkle your posts with your passions
Once you have your hobbies/interests, ask yourself, how can I bring them into my posts? How can I let my reader really get to know my personality?
The answers might surprise you.
You can start by mentioning one hobby/interest as a prelude to your post. That's all, that's it…just kinda sorta drop it in.
And the next post, add a different aspect.
And a different one.
Just let it grow naturally, and see how your readers embrace it.
Once you're comfortable with that, tackle:
Step 3.) Zero in on the one word you want readers to associate yourself with
Well, what is it?
- Is it humor?
- Is it confidence?
- Is it rabid passion for moose wrangling?
What is it?
When you have that word or phrase, ask yourself:
How can I have my blog writing/voice reflect that?
For example, the one word I want folks to associate with me is:
(Hey, I'm a math major, so I can redefine my own reality so "one" will equal "five". Actually, 1+1+1+1 really *does* equal five, for very high values of "1", but I digress….)
I compel my unique blogging voice to convey those qualities by:
- Infusing *all* of my posts with humor
- Adding to *some* of my posts covert ideas
- Adding to *some* of my posts brilliant ideas
- Adding to *most* of my posts "thinking outside the box" ideas
What can you do for yours?
What quality can you add to *all* of your posts? It should be a "style" of writing – offbeat, casual, authoritative, snarky, etc. Mine, btw, is stoically teeth-gnashing soul-splittingly glorious, calm and dignified.
As I'm sure you've seen.
What quality can you then add to *some* of your posts? And then what *different* qualities can you add to others of your posts?
You see, it takes time to develop your own unique style of writing.
It grows naturally, it generally can't be forced.
Once you know you want yourself to come across, start reading other blogs that exude that particular style.
Seeing examples can always help spark your imagination! And no, you don't copy them, but you might see ideas you never would have considered on your own.
Personally, I really don't think that developing your own unique blogging voice and singing your own song is difficult at all – it simply requires that you believe in yourself enough to be a leader among peers … and not a follower among the rest of the world.
Want other ideas for making your own blogging voice unique and magnificent? Check out:
- 4 Ways To Develop Your Unique Blogging Style
- 5 Ways to Build Your Blog's Voice
- 5 ways to set your unique blogging voice apart
- 10 Ways to Create Your Blogging Persona
- A successful content writer must have a unique voice
Then move to:
- Content is King: Finding Your Writing Voice
- Does Your Blog Have an Individual Voice?
- Finding Your Own Writing Voice
- Four Steps to Finding Your Ideal Writing Voice
- How to Find Your Blogging Voice – 8 Tips for Bloggers
And finish up with:
- How to Blog With ‘Voice’ and Increase Community and Readership
- Imitate and find your authentic voice
- The (My) Guide To Finding Your Blogging Voice
- What Is The Sound Of Your Blogging Voice? (notice that's from 2006 – it's definitely not a new topic!)
Some of unique blogs that are mentioned above include:
And my own personal opinions would add these 5 (many more too!)
- Allan Douglas – Down-home guy with a great laid-back style
- Barbara Swafford – I view her as the Fairy Blogmother – wonderful warmth exudes from her writings!
- Gigi KlugyMom – Common sense wisdom regarding families
- Crabby McSlaker – Crabby fitness, fitness with angst!
- Belle and a Bean! -Words fail me. Just go check her out, you'll see what I mean.
To Make Captain Picard Envy YOUR Blogging Voice, Try These 3 Creative Ideas
- Step 1.) Define three hobbies/interests of yours that are unique.
- Step 2.) Sprinkle your posts with your passions
- Step 3.) Zero in on the one word you want people to associate yourself with
That's all there is to it, really.
And when you have internalized it all, you too can ascend to these Captain Picard levels.
With practice, mind you.
Like I said….
No rocket science, no dark magic, no please-pay-me-$97-ebookiness!
Just plain common sense…AND, giving yourself permission to shine.
Because you have it inside of you.
So let it out.
ps - what other blogs do you think have a unique voice? Share them below!
And don't forget...
My Best Picks
Looking for the best Authority groups/masterminds online? Here are my favs:
- My Virtual Coach Community
- The Better Life Sequence
- Earn 1K A Day
- MyNAMS community
- Marlon's Book of Secrets
And don't forget our FB Perking Up Profits Group as well - the best powerful friendly Authority Marketing Group around!